Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Fathers Day to my Daddy!

Hollywood sure missed out for Top Gun casting!
I am so thankful for my dad! One thing I always wanted was to have my dad walk me down the aisle. I am so glad that I was able to experience that. And even more than that, he actually officiated our wedding!
My dad has always been my "hero", even as I got older and realized that even he wasn't a perfect human being. He has always done so much for our family. He has always provided for us and taken care of us.
I have always relied on my dad to fix everything, from vehicle problems to a broken dishwasher spraying in his face. He is also an expert campsite trench- digger & blue tarp hanger, for those of you who have ever camped during a northwest monsoon.
I have a vivid memory of riding in the child seat on the back of his bicycle, flying at what seemed like 100 miles an hour down a hill at Point Defiance Park. I have always trusted him and know that he would do anything for me.
I think the first time I consciously acknowledged how much my dad means to me was when my grandpa passed away. I saw what a difficult time that was for my dad, knowing that he would not see his dad again. I felt a wave of thankfulness and relief knowing that even after I don't have my dad here, I know I'll see him again. I can't imagine not having that comfort.
I know so many people grow up without a dad or a good father figure in their lives. I'm so thankful that my husband and my dad have a good relationship that grows stronger every day.
So, Daddy, I want you to know how much you mean to me, how much I appreciate everything you do and have done for me, and how much I love you.
Happy Father's Day!

3 comments:

A. Joy said...

This was so well written and what wonderful photos! That is one of my favorites of your mom and dad together. =) If I were your dad I'd probably cry reading this.

KathyB. said...

Ohhhhh, now that is a tribute every father would be honored and blessed to have!

Watching you grow up with your Dad is proof enough of all you say! Happy Father's day to you Goose Shooter!

Gooseshooter said...

Ah the memories! Rainy camping trips! Vehicle troubles! The good times!

Thanks for the post- All my love